SINGLE PARENTING TIPS
The average American household has change significantly within the past 50 years. There are many
reasons why single parents are solely raising families, including divorce, death, and by personal choice.
Single parents face unique challenges and require support to make their lives and the lives of their
children, easier, happier, and less stressful. Here are a few single parent tips, as well as resources.
- Be overtly affectionate – show continuous love, praise, and attention. Children thrive on quality time, affection, and creating memorable moments.
- Create routines – schedules and structure make things easier for children because they are aware of expectations.
- Remain positive – model positive behavior for children, in spite of adversities. Children need to visualize behaviors to emulate. Remember you are your child’s first example. It is vital that as parents, we display positive behaviors for our children.
- Befriend other single parents – connect with other like-minded single parents whom share similar goals and values. Children require time to be influenced and entertained by others.
- Make time for yourself – it is important as a parent to have alone time. Having time to yourself, is crucial for your peace of mind, quality of life, and self-identity.
Child Development Institute